Wednesday, 31 July 2013

Before and After


When I moved in with my family temporarily back in April I unpacked relatively quickly and mostly had what I wanted where I wanted it within 24 hours, but there was a little corner that remained sparse and slightly unloved. The sloping ceiling creates a cosy nook that was just waiting for the right little bookcase to turn it into a reading corner. 

An email about this challenge hit my inbox and away I went putting together a very simple, happy-making space. Tester pots are your friends, they are super cheap and perfect for painting small things in need of a mini makeover, it only took a few moments to get my green on with the blackboard I found at a car boot sale and the little oval frame from a charity shop. It was slightly more difficult to find a chalk marker that worked so I could write a little message on said blackboard . . . but good things came to she who waited and I was third time lucky. On with the green theme and next came the very battered old tea plate in such a minty shade I couldn't leave it behind, the pattern in the middle had been worn away by years of use so I opted to turn it into a mirror with the aid of superglue and a little round mirror tile I found in a junk shop. A trip to a vintage fair turned up a 1950s pastel green teacup that put the biggest smile on my face and a slight dent in my purse. Some cat patterned green fabric made a sweet cover for an old cushion kicking around the house, a clutch of postcards from the antique shop in town wedged themselves prettily behind the doorframe and suddenly all that was missing was a shelf. Age UK saved the day with a window display (I went there with the rhyming) and luckily the bookcase was lighter to lug across town than I thought she would be. The hatbox underneath the white wicker chair was one I already owned and it found a new home hanging out in the reading corner. Done and dusted!

Ted the Border terrier just stopped in to say hello and ask for a bit of a fuss, but I think he likes the bookcase too. 

36 comments:

  1. Jem this is a beautiful little makeover you've done! Interior design posts are my favourite to read, and a thrifty, vintage inspired one is quite simply perfection xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww wow what a gorgeous little den! Love how you got loads of things second hand - so much character :D x

    janesjumbles.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. simple and really really lovely! you have a brilliant eye for secondhand/vintage things Jem. I can never see past how they look if they're a bit too beaten up. really like the way you've turned this into a reading den!!!! x

    p.s Ted is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your little nook :) Oh and Ted loves adorable. xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. love this, I just turned my shed into a little reading room. Going to trawl the charity shops to find some finishing touches.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks great, is that a mini little lava lamp in the plug socket on the first pic? Oh and cute doggie too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the mini bookcase! Such a cool idea turning the plate into a mirror too :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I absolutely love it! Well done!
    Alice xx
    missalicethecamel.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is beaut... The dream!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your ability to transform anywhere you land into somewhere homely and cosy with relatively little cost or effort. You just have a natural eye for detail.

    P. S. Hello, Ted, you handsome wee devil!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This looks absolutely fabulous - truly lovely :) xx

    LittleGlitter.org

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a lovely corner for reading and relaxing! That eau de nil green is perfect for setting the mood.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Postcards around door frames are like my favorite thing ever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. So adorable!! I love how, with the help of such simple things, you've added some personality to the room! I think that as soon as you add books to an area it makes it feel so much more cosy somehow! x
    from-the-art.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'd love to have a reading corner! I've been looking for a slim bookcase for weeks, no luck in the charity shops yet though. Your blog is lovely by the way!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ahh, this is beautiful! I adore the 'Paint the sky with stars' message, so cute. The postcards add such a unique touch. Love!

    Sophie

    x

    http://soinspo.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow! Looks so good! Good job x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job! This little nook is so neat and cozy!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Aww Ted is so cute! I love the makeover xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. This looks totally gorgeous! Loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks gorgeous! Adore the wicker chair & chalk board. :) x

    Lemon Freckles: Making a home on a budget

    ReplyDelete
  22. Darling, you did a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This all looks great! I'm moving in a new apartment in a few weeks so I have a few projects to work on myself :)

    Milan
    http://milanwithlove.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  24. I love this, it looks fab!

    Ive recently started my own blog, please check me out at...
    phazestyle.blogspot.co.uk

    Thanks! x

    ReplyDelete
  25. great makeover, I love it! xx

    Martyna | NEON MIZZLE

    ReplyDelete
  26. fabulous update, very inspiring!!
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love this makeover, so nice, pretty and relaxing :)

    You Had Me At Hello is one of my favourite books too ... and Ted is really sweet! x

    ReplyDelete
  28. That blackboard is lovely! Really interesting touch.

    Jessica x

    http://breathejessica.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful layout :) I love the postcard idea, its unique and original!

    -Megan
    http://mymyitsmegan.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  30. Look gorgeous Jem!especially like the teacup and the postcards:)xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. Such a cosy corner! I love the chair and pretty cushion, you've made it so homely.x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a note, they make my day! :-)